Monday, March 31, 2014

Educational Philosophy

When I first took the Educational Philosophies- Self Assessment I was a little confused as to how the scoring worked. Not sure if anyone else encountered that problem? I believe I figured it out eventually and the category or educational philosophy I was indicated to be in was humanism. This makes sense for me because after reading about it I found myself agreeing with a lot of the text. Becoming the best one can be is a very important part of learning and growing up. Everyone is different and will achieve different goals and levels of what they see as best. I believe students should have a choice in how they learn and some particular things they learn about. It's their life and their choices. If they don't get to choose certain things then learning won't be fun and some students may not learn at all. If students are given more choices this helps set them up for when they grow older, become independent, and live on their own. I also believe the mood of the student that day can change how well they are learning. If someone's having a bad day or is uncomfortable in a classroom they're not going to spend too much time learning. They will spend more time looking at the clock and thinking about when they can finally leave. I do believe that most tests, like standardized multiple choice tests do not help students too much. They just teach students to memorize information while studying and then forget it as soon as the test or school year is over. Multiple choice exams also don't help students learn because they can take a guess and pick any one of the answers. They may get the answer right but not have even known that was correct. I think the whole thing about incorporating an outdoor environment into the lesson is a great idea. Kids don't want to sit inside at their desks all day. Taking them outside for fresh air and new learning experiences would be refreshing. This all shows what I would be like as a future teacher. I want my students to be comfortable with their environment and I want my classroom to kind of be like a judge-free environment.
I think it's possible that the results could be in accurate "in picking up my true philosophy of education," but to me it seems like the test did a pretty good job. I think this is the most accurate out of all the categories I could have been put in.

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ed416/PP1.html


No comments:

Post a Comment